Prep time 15 minutes, ready in 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3/4 pound bulk turkey sausage
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken stock
- 6 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup barley
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add turkey sausage and garlic, breaking sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon; cook and stir until sausage is browned, about 5 minutes. Pour chicken stock over the sausage mixture. Stir spinach into broth; bring to a simmer and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir barley into the soup and continue to cook until the barley is tender, about 1 hour.
Source of recipe and photo: Allrecipes.com. Recipe by Juli Carvi.